Tuesday, 11 April 2017

New-to-me brands: Ere Perez Cosmetics

I stumbled across Ere Perez Cosmetics...somewhere online. I think I originally read about them at The Zombie Said, but forgot about them for a while until I stumbled across them on a list of indie/natural/obscure/check-out-these-brands-you've-never-heard-of-and-90%-of-them-you'll-never-hear-about-again lists. I decided to find their website, and see what they had to offer - the sleek packaging appealed to me, and while I really don't value natural cosmetics, multi-use products are apparently my new obsession (see that Bite multistick I still haven't reviewed), and Ere Perez has a number of versatile products. I decided to get the Beautiful Beetroot Cheek & Lip Tint in Joy and the Clever Carrot Cheek & Lip Balm in Happy.



Wow, that's a lot of positivity in shade names. 



Super positive names and my skepticism about the virtues of natural versus synthetic aside, I opened the envelope they arrived in with excitement. I ordered them directly from Ere Perez, which is in Australia. They arrived in less than two weeks, had shipped promptly once ordered, and were well packaged and secure for their journey here. I decided to just go ahead and order from Ere Perez directly instead of trying to find a closer stockist for a few reasons: AUD is roughly the same value as CAD so I'm not being killed by the exchange rate; even Amazon 2-Day shipping usually takes 3 days to get here so it was going to take a while anyway; and going through the company directly means I got to have a direct taste of their website and ordering process. Both of which were perfectly fine and I didn't have to talk to anybody, which is the epitome of the shopping experience I like. 




Happy blended out, Happy, Joy

The Beautiful Beetroot Cheek & Lip Tint in Joy is described as "Beautiful beetroot cheek tint – a natural stain for long-lasting cherry red colour. With rosehip extract and organic beetroot pigments, it quickly creates flushed-looking, rosy cheeks and that touch of colour to brighten your skin. A little JOY goes a long way, so use sparingly for softer colour or apply freely for strong intense red if desired. Roll-on, easy to use and waterproof. One of our most popular products because everyone needs a little fun in their lives. Enjoy!"



The colour of this stain is stunning. I love the warmth it gives my face, the longevity is wonderful, and it reminded me how I used to love lip/cheek tints. I used to be all about Benetint - it was the only blush I wore for probably 2-3 years - and the old Body Shop lip/cheek tints. That said, I have no intention of ever using Joy as a cheek tint for a few reasons.

  1. It is SO pigmented. Benetint was hard enough to blend out wet and doesn't have the same level of intensity at all. I will end up with red splotches on my face.
  2. I bought it expressly knowing that I wasn't going to ever use it as a blush.
  3. The packaging. 
I love Joy, I've worn it at least once a week since I got it in the beginning of March, it stands up to my snacking and water drinking even when topped with a clear lip balm, which does cause it to transfer a little. But I am not a fan of the rollerball packaging. It's the same size as a 10ml perfume rollerball. Since I like to wear Joy at its most intense most of the time, I try to apply directly from the rollerball for the most intense colour, and the rollerball is not really precise. I end up using a finger to tidy up, since I don't have any brushes I'd like to stain red right now, and then my finger is red (it comes off, but takes a little work). So yeah. I love Joy but I also dislike it. The rollerball isn't enough to put me off of using the tint, but it's more finicky because of the rollerball than I would like. I expect a certain amount of work for a liquid stain to be even, just maybe not that much work. It's not something I can quickly apply and go. 

It takes a few seconds to full dry down, and then it's basically good for the day, unless you eat something oily, and even then, you could probably keep going, albeit with less intensity.

On the other hand, the Clever Carrot Cheek & Lip Balm in Happy comes in much friendlier packaging. It's described as "Clever crimson cream blush for your cheeks. Harness the natural goodness of carrots and add vibrant colour without the fuss of brushes or applicators. Easy, fuss-free coverage that keeps skin soft and hydrated. Simply dip your finger in and smooth over cheeks. Great for the beach, gym, office or active lifestyle. Small enough to fit in your pocket or wallet, this brilliant little accessory is for girls on the go! Can also be used on lips."

Happy as blush.

I've been dreaming about a great red blush for a while now, and now that I've pared my blushes down to the ones I really, really love, I have the room to have one or two colours like this. Happy looks really natural on me, even though it's a crimson. To wear as blush, I touch my finger to the pan and that's more than enough to blend out on my cheek. It's easy to blend. It doesn't quite last all day - it's definitely faded after lunch and would need a quick touch up if I had somewhere to go after supper (spoiler: I don't, usually). 

Happy as a balm.

On my lips, it's a lovely tinted balm and does stain my lips slightly. It's a much more natural look, even built up, than Joy. I find it great on both cheeks and lips, which is definitely not always the case with multitasking products. The little compact it comes in is adorable and sleek, closes firmly, and lets me see the colour easily. A+ on this one, Ere Perez. Though I'd find it bulky and awkward to stuff in my wallet. I do wish it had a mirror on the inside of the compact, though, because that would really add to the image they're selling with this.

I'm pleased with Ere Perez, even though the rollerball grinds my gears ever so slightly. I have an idea of some other things I'd like to try, but since most of them are cream products, I'm holding off for now. I've suddenly found myself interested in cream/liquid face products, but am trying to really resist exploring this too much because of the relatively low shelf-life. I think one in, one out will be the best plan of action here.

I've been really cautious about trying new brands lately, or even brands that I've not heard much about before and I'm glad this went well. 

And because I probably won't (but never say never) post again this week, happy Easter! I bought chocolate for work, presumably for my users, but I think it's actually becoming just for me, since I grab one every single time I pass the bowl by. Which has been a lot more than usual since I put it out. Hmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. This is the first I've heard of Ere Perez. Apparently they're Australian? Their packaging reminds me of & Other Stories.

    Happy is a beautiful blush on you, and WOW, Joy is vivid! I associate that level of saturation with matte lipsticks, not lip tints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy is insanely pigmented, it's both wonderful and kind of daunting. It's their only tint, though, which is a bummer.

      Delete